Stephen Gitelman, MD
Dr. Gitelman's research interests include type 1 and type 2 diabetes, especially issues related to children and adolescents. On-going research studies include:
- Prevention of type 1 diabetes mellitus, including: a) participation in NIH-sponsored studies such as TrialNet to better understand the natural history and prevent type 1 diabetes, and b) the use of novel immunomodulatory agents at diagnosis to prolong endogenous insulin secretion (the honeymoon phase), such as with a humanized anti-CD3 monoclonal antibody and anti-thymocyte globulin.
- Use of insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose sensors, and other evolving technologies to optimize metabolic control for children with diabetes
- Improving outcomes for Latino youth with diabetes
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes in obese adolescents
- Post-transplantation diabetes in children